Friday, June 29, 2007

AIR : User Agent String

While we were checking out the AIR iPhone we got to wondering what the server sees when you browse to a page using mx:HTML. It was simple enough to test by browsing to one of our own websites on the AIR iPhone and then checking out the server log. It was pretty interesting. The user agent string was :

AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3 Apollo/1.0.Beta1

I found it interesting that it referenced both AppleWebKit and Safari. But the most interesting thing is that it still shows Apollo rather than AIR. I tried publishing my own using the Flex Builder 3 Beta and it still shows Apollo. I assume that dark corner got missed in the move from Apollo Alpha to AIR beta. I'll need to go and have a little think about how I want to deal with this in our server log application.

4 comments:

Jason said...

The only part of the user agent string that has changed is "Beta", which of course used to say "Alpha".

http://blog.wrench.com.au/2007/05/11/apollos-user-agent-string/

geekglue said...

Thanks for the comment and the link Jason. I was just surprised that while updating Alpha to Beta they left the app name as Apollo rather than AIR. I assume this change will appear in the next version.

Anonymous said...

Is safari/419.3 unique to the iPhone?

geekglue said...

The safari/419.3 was actually coming from AIR. So I imagine it has more to do with Webkit than anything else.