Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Wozniak criticises smartphones

"I'm learning to use their menus, it's awkward. I feel like a slave and less important than the technology."
The above quote is from Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and was made at this weeks Broadband and Beyond conference in Sydney. He also had some mixed comments toward the iPhone. But the above quote really struck a note for me. Considering how long we've been designing and using screen based GUI's I don't understand why even the most basic tasks on the latests phones are so hard to do. I regularly find myself cursing because it takes five selections to delete messages or four to make a phone call. Surely common tasks (like making a call) should be easier. The other thing this comment highlighted for me is that technology works when it puts people first. Technology should always aim towards the highest achievable level of transperancy.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: