Friday, January 12, 2007

See my Flex App Run Fast

Are Flex compile times getting you down? Are you sick and tired of the endless drag of the compile bar? Then perhaps you are making the same error as me.

My current project is a Flex application built upon the Shell Module structure. Over the last 6 months it has grown to include 20 different modules. As each module was added the application took longer and longer to compile (Run). I was hoping that the 2.0.1 updater would help speed the process but alas there was no difference.

Today, while staring at the grindingly slow compile bar, the solution finally hit me. To compile my modules as part of an application they need to be added to the runnable Flex applications list in the project properties dialog. But I don't need to re-compile all 20 modules only the ones that have been changed. To test this I removed all modules from the list, leaving only the shell application, and re-compiled. The application compiled in less time than it takes to login to Blogger. The result a brief victory dance (hardly a pretty sight).

It's great to have a speedy compile. But it's a bit of a nuisance to have to regularly re-organise my runnable application list.

N.B I post this information here not because it's an earth shattering revelation. But rather to save other lost souls (or my own forgetful self) from repeating this error.

technorati tags:

No comments: