Thursday, January 04, 2007

Flock : a life changing discovery

After reading Micheal Arrington's article on Web 2.0 companies he couldn't live without. I found myself checking out the Web 2.0 companies I'd never caught up with. Some I bookmarked for future reference. Some underwhelmed me. But I suspect that one has changed my life forever. That thing is Flock: the social web browser. Sure I'd heard of Flock prior to reading the article. But I was busy and didn't really have time to install and play with yet another web browser. The other factor is that I've recently been getting right into Flickr and del.icio.us. If you aren't uploading photos, managing your bookmarls online, browsing RSS feeds (or blogging) then Flock is just another browser. But as soon as you start to engage with the media potential of Web 2.0 then Flock is the browser to have.

Until yesterday I was reading my Feeds in Feedreader. But then I exported my feeds into Flock and for now at least that is where they will stay. What is great about Flock is that there is a RSS reader button right next to the location bar which changes color when feeds are updated. It has all the functionality I was used to from Feedreader but with greater convenience.

The same is true for Flickr. There is a Flickr button which opens a toolbar for previewing yours and everyone elses Flickr content. It's not everything that Flickr is but it's a great place to start.

Bookmarking : the friendly star button allows me to add the current page to my del.icio.us bookmarks. Sure I'll need to go and tag and share them. But this is overcome with a shortcut.

The other great feature is the search bar. Type in a search and it performs live searching within your favorites and selected toolbar.

If you haven't tried Flock then you should have a look. Especially if you use Flickr, del.icio.us, RSS or blog.

technorati tags:, , , , ,

1 comment:

geekglue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.